Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day 7: Tears of Joy

Wow, I can't believe I've already been here one week. The time is flying by and each day I get more and more sad knowing that I'll be leaving soon. Even though a lot of my time here has been quite hard, and I am missing my friends, family, and birdie, there's honestly no where else I'd rather be. I know it will be very hard leaving this place, and the new friendships I've made.

Got the word that the boats went out again this morning, but we didn't have to wait long before we saw them coming back in, one by one. They took a chance this morning with the weather, and the wind quickly picked up, creating white caps on the beautiful sea and protecting the dolphins for another day. By 7:30 the first banger boat had passed by our lookout, inbound for the harbor. What a beautiful sight.

Someone new arrived here late last night, Malcolm Wright. He's in the middle of filming his documentary 'Whale Like Me', in which he spends time with Japanese whalers to see and experience whales through their eyes, and then takes them to swim with whales and see them through his eyes. I can only imagine the things he has seen having spent time on a whaling vessel, and hope the peaceful encounter they have in the ocean will plant a seed in the minds and hearts of the whalers. Once this is finished I'm sure it will be a fantastic film, and hopefully will cause changing attitudes amongst those who are pro-whaling. If you'd like to learn more about his film, visit the Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/WhaleLikeMe

Since we now had the day, Leah, Malcolm, and I decided to visit a nearby lighthouse and then check in on the captives at Dolphin Base. One dolphin in the center pen (the pen that offers the swim-with program) kept logging on the surface and looking over at us. He (or she) was watching us just as much as we were watching him. I know many people say the dolphins can sense that we're here to help them, or that we're somehow different from the ones who put them in there, and while I'd love to believe that honestly I just felt like he was looking at us asking "Why aren't you helping me? Can't you see I don't belong here? Can you please help us?" And all we could do was stare back. I wish I could say I believed that my thinking "I'm so sorry, we're trying our best" was somehow understood. It's so heartbreaking to not be able to communicate in a way I know they understand.


Today was a great de-stress day. Back at the hotel we all gathered in the lobby and sat there sharing stories and laughing for hours. At times I laughing so hard I was wiping tears from my eyes. I think everyone who's here or who's ever been here understands how important it is to laugh and have a good time. It's so nice to go to sleep on a good note, because once that early morning alarm goes off, everything repeats itself. The watching, and waiting, and praying the cove stays blue for one more day.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you're able to counter all of the stress and suffering with some moments of joy and light-hearted friendship. Are you feeling like this will change your perspective once you return? I think it may be your calling to find some kind of career path that allows you to continue your outreach efforts. My mom and I were just talking about how impressive it is that you have truly followed this dream since 1st grade!! My thoughts are with you and know that you have so much support and love back home! :)

    ReplyDelete