Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 14: Two weeks down

And only about one more week to go...

Anyone who's been to Taiji for this purpose will tell you that this place changes you, and while I believed it, it was impossible to understand just how much until I experience it for myself.

This place can rip you up and tear you apart. It can break your heart over and over again and make you feel absolutely unwelcome. For the first time in my life I know what it feels like to be discriminated against by people who've never even had a conversation with me. Almost everyone who passes by me stares.

And yet, despite all of this hatred, there is so much comfort here. I can't imagine what my time here would have been like had I not been surrounded by such an amazing group of people. We may have different tactics and see things a little differently, but ultimately we're all working towards the same end result. At the end of the day, no matter how traumatic the days events, the friendships I've made here provide the support to keep me going. We haven't known each other very long, but sharing the same passions and experiencing the same emotional highs and lows helps us form a quick and strong bond. It's strange, but I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life. It just wouldn't be the same without these people. Tomorrow morning we will say goodbye to 3 friends who are leaving hard shoes to fill. Hopefully I'll gain a few more friends before my time here is over.

Everyday that passes brings me one day closer to leaving, and I think that is going to be the hardest part of this whole journey. I'm definitely not ready to leave Japan yet and abandon the dolphins. In my head I know that's not what I'm doing, but that's definitely how it feels, and I know of a few people in particular who understand that completely. I'm still not sure how I'm going to do it...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather,
    Glad you've had a circle of friends to keep you safe; physically & mentally. What an experience you've had! Enjoy your last week there my friend. Hang in there.
    All my love and hugs,
    Kim Talley

    ReplyDelete